Song of Gratitude: Part 2

After yesterday's post, I don't want anyone to get the impression that I grew up in this terrible home.  That isn't true at all.  My parents were always very supportive...and still to this day, I go to my parents to hear those words of support.  But Christ was not the center of our home...mostly because my family didn't know Christ.  But despite that, I grew up in a loving home, with parents who cared deeply for their children.  We spent lots of time doing fun family things, taking family vacations, going on fun outings, my Mom used to make elaborate cakes for my birthday...a tradition passed down.  My Dad carted us from sporting event to after-school activities, even if we did have to listen to Car Talk on the way.  :)  Not a bad childhood by any stretch of the imagination.

We also went to church my whole life...but that church didn't recognize the Bible as authoritative.  I think they did in the denomination's doctrinal statement, but when it came to reality, not so much.  Being a good person was what was important.

I don't want to speak for my parents here, but I'm going to.  :)  My Mom would say that she didn't become a Christian until after I did, and my Dad had heard and accepted the gospel earlier in life, but didn't put Christ first until about that same time.  My parents had began to study the actual Bible at a study at the church we attended, and eventually left to go to a church that did hold to the authority of the Bible.  Then what happened next is pretty astonishing.  After a couple of years attending that church, they attended the Missions Conference held at the church and knew God was calling them to the mission field.  And a couple of years later they left and went to Bolivia, and today, are in Southern Spain today ministering to the North African population.

As an adult, I have had the privilege of witnessing the spiritual growth, and sacrifices they have made for the Gospel.  Not a lot of grandparents are willing to let their grand-kids move away (without a fight anyway), let alone being willing to move to the other side of the world, only seeing them for a month a year.  I watched them sell most of their belonging at a series of garage sales, and the house that they had spent quite a while saving to buy.  Now, I get to hear the amazing stories of the North African church prospering and becoming independent, and I am so glad my parents get to be a part of that.  I am sure that if my parents could reverse the clock, they would wish for another chance at raising a family, but God uses all things to His glory, and the transformations in my parent's life has definitely brought Him glory.

BTW--I have kept from using proper names for the privacy of the first family and the security of my parents...It would be great if you would make sure to do the same if you comment.  :) 

3 comments:

jackandellasmum said...

I, too, feel so blessed to know your parents. What a gift to be able to witness (and share) their pleasure in coming to know Jesus and then dedicate their lives to serving Him overseas! And I'm assuming they are probably just as grateful as you for the other family in your first Song of Gratitude. :) Love the quirky, winding, astonishing heritage of faith...

Katie said...

It certainly doesn't fit into a nice pretty package, but the end result is so beautiful...amazing really.

jancoxabetterway said...

What a lovely story of God's provisions and for His glory.
I too was raised in a church that I did not understand the power of the gospel. Not sure if that was me or them. Until 10 years ago I believed in a God who was far away and I only prayed when I really needed something. What a difference today - Jesus is my Saviour and the reason for every breath I take.
Blessings on your blog and your family,
Jan